Re: AW: Broken macro definitions in hal_io.h

"Koeller, T." <Thomas.Koeller@baslerweb.com> writes:

> I assumed these maros were intended to transfer data between a buffer in
> memory and a single I/O register (because that was what I wanted to use
> them for). Well, seems I was wrong. That would also be a useful function,
> however.

You should be able to use the ..._VECTOR macros for that, with a step of
zero. But thinking about it, you may be right. The _STRING macros were
originally added to the i386 HAL to support the insb/w/l and outsb/w/l
instructions, which do as you expect. So maybe these should too.

In any architecture other than the i386, the _STRING macros are just
special cases of the _VECTOR macros, whichever way you define them.

We will have to decide exactly how these macros should work.

--
Nick Garnett, eCos Kernel Architect
Red Hat, Cambridge, UK