Re: Network problem with eCos 2.0 and Viper

Gary Thomas wrote:

> On Fri, 2002-06-07 at 12:45, Paul Randall wrote:
> > Hi Gary,
> >
> > I compiled eCos with the "old" network stack (i.e. Open BSD) and I get the
> > same problem (ARPs are sent out but the responses from the host are not
> > recognized) that I did with the new network stack.
> >
> > I set a breakpoint in the fec_eth_int() interrupt processing routine in
> > if_fec.c and the breakpoint was not hit once during ping_test.exe (for
> > transmit or receive interrupts).  I figured that this is because the
> > interrupts were not enabled properly.  While stepping through the
> > fec_eth_init() function, execution skipped over the section of code that sets
> > up the interrupts because CYGINT_IO_ETH_INT_SUPPORT_REQUIRED was not defined
> > for if_fec.c.  CYGINT_IO_ETH_INT_SUPPORT_REQUIRED is defined in
> > io_eth_drivers.h (because CYGPKG_IO_ETH_DRIVERS_NET implements it), but this
> > header file is not included in if_fec.c so the creation of interrupts is not
> > done.
> >
> > I noticed that a lot of the other if_*.c files have the
> > <pkgconf/io_eth_drivers.h> include file.  Shouldn't if_fec.c have it too?
> >
> > I looked back to the if_fec.c in eCos version 1.3.1 and the creation of
> > interrupts only depends on the CYGPKG_NET define which is probably why the
> > ping_test worked for me with that version.
> >

> This is a recent change (not by me) which may have broken some drivers.
> Does adding the include file <pkgconf/io_eth_drivers.h> fix the problem?

Yes.  The Viper can now see the response to the ARP using either stack.

However, I think I found another problem.  When I configure eCos with the old
network stack, the stack gets a response to all of the pings.  With the new stack,
every other ping times out.  I can see all the ICMP replies with the Ethereal
analyzer, but the stack indicates a timeout for half of them.

Best regards,

Paul Randall
Delta Information Systems