Re: Question about building the GNU tool set?

On Tue, Jun 11, 2002 at 02:15:21PM +0100, jameshq wrote:
> Hi all:
>     Could any one give me something about how the configuration works while
> we are trying to configure the gcc, g++ tools for other processor?  If for a
> new processor how can I configure the tool set for it?  As I know while we
> configure for ARM  we use:
>
> mkdir -p /tmp/build/binutils
>     cd /tmp/build/binutils
>     /src/binutils/binutils-2.10.1/configure --target=arm-elf \
>       --prefix=/tools \
>       --exec-prefix=/tools/H-i686-pc-cygwin \
>       -v 2>&1 | tee configure.out
>
> for the binary utilities.As seem "--target=arm-elf", how can we know which
> target is supported in GNU(for configuring the new toolset)? If I want to
> configure the tools set for a new processor what work should I do achieve
> that(any file I need to make or...?)? (Is that means a toolset port to the
> new processor? if so what target can we used if I want to use the GNU
> toolset?) Maybe I went some way wrong so sorry about that.

I don't quite follow your question.

If you look in the file INSTALL it lists the CPUs supported. My sources say:

     1750a, a29k, alpha, arm, cN, clipper, dsp16xx, elxsi, h8300,
     hppa1.0, hppa1.1, i370, i386, i486, i586, i860, i960, m32r,
     m68000, m68k, m88k, mips, mipsel, mips64, mips64el, ns32k,
     powerpc, powerpcle, pyramid, romp, rs6000, sh, sparc, sparclite,
     sparc64, vax, we32k.

You can thus probably use --target=alpha-elf or --target=sh-elf.

I you have a totally new processor you want to port GCC to, thats a
different story. In that case is suggest you swap onto one of the gcc
mailing lists. As well as porting gcc you will need to port the
binutils, the linker, the Binary File Diddler (BFD) library, gas etc.

      Andrew