Success with AT91EB40 and RedBoot!

At last!

For those of you who have been following this saga, it turns out that my
hardware is corrupted in some way. Dammit! Fortunately, I purchased 2
evaluation boards and the other board works fine. For posterity, I'll
summarize the specifics:

$ arm-elf-gdb -v
GNU gdb 5.1.1

$ arm-elf-gcc -v
gcc version 2.95.2 19991024 (release)
 (This also has the ecos-gcc-2952.pat patch applied)

binutils: binutils-2.10.1

Reboot images:
redboot_RAM.elf
redboot_ROMRAM.srec

from eCos CVS.

(I even managed to successfully build and download my own version of the
redboot_RAM image that blinked the diagnostic LED's [although I didn't
build the accompanying .srec image]).

I essentially followed the directions to a T as described:
http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/tools/linux-arm-elf.html

-----

My advice to others... check your hardware!

Special thanks goes to: Gary Thomas, Tim Drury and Kjell Svensson.

Scott