Re: Red Hat backs away from eCos?

Gary Thomas wrote:

> > > Yes, since late May with the alpha v2.0 release, eCos is now licensed
> > > under the GPL (with an exception which makes it suitable for embedded
> > > use).
> >
> > Thanks.  I had misunderstood the 2.0 license changes.  The
> > older versions are still under the previous license, right?
> >

> I don't see any way that could change since it's open source. (IANAL)

Indeed, absolutely not. You can check the last RHEPL'd version out of CVS
by using the CVS tag "last-rhepl". See
http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/anoncvs.html

> > Presuming that development continues, who decides what goes
> > into the repository and what doesn't?
>
> As before, but [hopefully] with a larger set of contributors.

It is likely to follow the GCC style with a small cabal[1] :-) of
maintainers approving patches, and either applying them themselves or
giving write access to the repository for people to make changes
themselves. But all patches would be posted, i.e. everything stays open.

An issue that will come up for the maintainers is copyright assignments.
Most people here will probably think they should no longer be a
requirement, but things aren't as clear as that. But that's a discussion
that will happen on the maintainers list. Right now, we're holding back on
moving forward with these types of proposals for the time being for various
reasons that will hopefully be resolved shortly.

Jifl
[1] TINC