make tests compile error for eb40

In trying to release the EB40a port, I'm trying to make and run the tests.
I can compile/run redboot without a problem, but when I try to 'make tests'
after the 'ecosconfig tree' command, I get the following error:

/usr/local/ecos/tests/install/lib/libtarget.a(redboot_main.o): In function
`do_go':
/usr/local/ecos/cvs_td_patch/ecos/packages/redboot/current/src/main.c:713:
undefined reference to `RedBoot_version'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

The redboot main.c references an extern RedBoot_version variable which
is declared in version.c in the redboot/src directory, but this file doesn't
seem to be getting compiled or linked when running 'make tests'.  But
'make' after targetting redboot works.  I found this in the redboot cdl
file:

        make -priority 320 {
            <PREFIX>/bin/redboot.elf : $(PREFIX)/lib/target.ld
$(PREFIX)/lib/vectors.o $(PREFIX)/lib/libtarget.a $(PREFIX)/lib/libextras.a
                    @sh -c "mkdir -p $(dir $@)"
                    $(CC) -c $(INCLUDE_PATH) $(CFLAGS) -o
$(PREFIX)/lib/version.o $(REPOSITORY)/$(PACKAGE)/src/version.c
                    $(CC) $(LDFLAGS) -L$(PREFIX)/lib -Ttarget.ld -o $@
$(PREFIX)/lib/version.o
        }

So it would seem that when building the redboot.elf, the version.c file
is compiled and linked here.

My question:  how do I get version.c to get compiled and linked during
'make tests'?  When do those lines in the redboot cdl get invoked?
Should they be there or should version.c get compiled like all the other
support source files in redboot/src.  Why is version.c special?

I can certainly fix this by hacking the makefile for 'make tests', but I want
to do it the right way.

-tim drury