Re: shared object of CDL.

    >> Is there a specific reason why you want libcdl to become a
    >> shared object? If not, my preference would be to keep it as a
    >> simple static library for now, in the interest of portability.

    Masato> Because I want CDL plugin, or extented module, for python.
    Masato> In order to realize this, I believe it's a better way to
    Masato> create a shared library.

If we are going to move towards Python modules, dynamically loadable
Tcl extensions, or anything like that then moving to libtool is the
only sensible way forward. My own plans along those lines involved
extending the ecosconfig command with a new sub-command cdlsh, thus
providing a Tcl interpreter plus commands like cdl_get, cdl_set,
cdl_database, ... That could be achieved without dynamic loading
or shared libraries. And it would not happen for a while yet, there
are other things I am working on.

Before we can make a switch to libtool, we need to be sure that we are
not going to break things for other users. Currently I can do test
builds under Linux and under Windows 98 with current net cygwin. I
would also want somebody to do testing on at least one other version
of Unix, e.g. Solaris. Also, it is important for now that we do not
break builds with Visual C++ since the current Windows GUI configtool
cannot be built under cygwin - and this is where there are likely to
be problems. I do not have a Visual C++ installation at present.

Are there any volunteers willing to:

  a) do some test builds on Unix systems other than Linux.

  b) do builds with Visual C++, and help to resolve any problems.
     Experience with autoconf/automake/libtool would be a big help.

I have some changes to the configury of my own which I want to check
in. These are mostly clean-ups and some reorganization, so hopefully I
have not broken anything for platforms I cannot test, but again it
would be useful to have some volunteers who can help with the testing.

Bart