Re: KZ-ARM7PCI-01 board support (based on Cirrus LogicEP7312)

On Thu, 2002-08-08 at 02:14, Masato Taruishi wrote:
> I'm making RedBoot work on KMC KZ-ARM7PCI-01 board.
>
> Homepage of this board is at:
>
> http://www.kmckk.co.jp/kz/kzarm7pci.htm
>
> (Written in Japanese, sorry I can't find the information of this
>  board in English) :(
>
> Now that RedBoot is working on my board, either ROM, RAM, and ROMRAM.
> It wasn't difficult to support this board because this board uses
> Cirrus Logic EP7312 chip (ARM7TDMI core), which has been already
> supported by eCos. What I did was to write a flash driver for
> this board.
>
> I have a question about the HAL structure of this board.
>
> Current HAL of Cirrus Logic EP7312 is located under
> hal/arm/edb7xxx/. I can reuse almost of this HAL, so what I did
> was to create a new target kzarm7pci in ecos.db and use
> CYGPKG_HAL_ARM_EDB7XXX.
>
> The target is as follows:
>
> target kzarm7pci {
>         alias { "KMC KZ-ARM7PCI-01 board" kzarm7pci }
>         packages        { CYGPKG_HAL_ARM
>                           CYGPKG_HAL_ARM_EDB7XXX
>                           CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL_ARM_EDB7XXX
>                           CYGPKG_DEVS_FLASH_KZARM7PCI
>         }
>         description "
> The kzarm7pci target provides the packages needed to run eCos on an KMC
> KZ-ARM7PCI-01."
> }
>
> The problem is here:
>
> In displaying version of RedBoot, the following message are displayed:
>
>     Platform: Cogent EDB7312 (ARM 720T) Cirrus Logic EP7312
>
> But, this board is not Cogent EDB7312. We can change this name by
> adding the entry of this board in
> hal/arm/edb7xxx/current/cdl/hal_arm_edb7xxx.cdl, but the directory
> name of this hal is edb7xxx, that is, the board brought by Cirrus
> Logic based on ep7XXX. I don't want to change this HAL nor add the
> entry of this board in edb7xxx/.
>
> I guess the apropriate HAL structure is as follows:
>
>  hal/arm/ep7xxx/     : HAL of EP7XXX chip
>  hal/arm/edb7xxx/    : HAL of EDB7XXX board
>  hal/arm/kzarm7pci/  : HAL of KZ-ARM7PCI-01 board
>
> and edb7xxx and kzarm7pci use ep7xxx HAL, just as MIPS vr43xx HAL.
> or copy edb7xxx/ to kzarm7pci/ and modify it for this board?
>
> Does anybody have any commens?
> Thanks in advance

At this point, I'd say just add some conditional code into the
CDL file.  Reworking this HAL into variant/platform would be quite
a lot of work, not to mention testing, for platforms that are now
either obsolete or nearly so.

Gary Thomas                  |
eCosCentric, Ltd.            |
+1 (970) 229-1963            |  eCos & RedBoot experts
gthomas@ecoscentric.com      |
http://www.ecoscentric.com/  |