Re: Spam on list

On Wed, Sep 25, 2002 at 01:26:35AM +0100, Jonathan Larmour wrote:
>Iztok Zupet wrote:
>>On Tue, 2002-09-17 at 14:52, Andrew Lunn wrote:
>>
>>>Would it be possible to get a spam filter installed on the mailling
>>>lists? Does sources have such a thing for other lists they maintain?
>>

>>It's very hard to install a spam filter filtering spam coming from
>>public mailers, like Hotmail. The spammers send their mails using
>>different account on a public mailer every time. You can't just put the
>>entire Hotmail into the badmailfrom file.
>>
>>Better solution is to use a filter looking for well known web or other
>>links in the message bodies. That works, but consumes more CPU time.
>
>I believe there is one already, maintained by hand[1]. May I suggest in
>future, if you see a spam that you believe could be used with a filter
>(e.g. a Nigerian scam one or whatever), to e-mail
>sourcemaster@sources.redhat.com where (hopefully!) someone might be able
>to act.

PLEASE!  Do not do this!  There is a spam filter running here.  It is
effective.  About 9% of the email to this list is blocked as spam.

I guarantee that if people start forwarding spam to sourcemaster, I
will block them from sending any email to sourcemaster.

The last thing I need is to have 57 people "helping" by sending their
copies of spam to sourcemaster.  I already am scanning this list for
spam and block any noticeable pattern when it comes through.  In fact, I
did this for the "urgent assistance" email that caused this, IMO,
overreactive thread.

Go ahead and look at the mailing list archives and see how much spam
actually gets through.  There are now probably on the order of 3X more
messages discussing spam than there are actual spam messages on the
list.

>I might be wrong, but here goes anyway :).
>
>[1] The likes of SpamAssasin are very good, but can still be overkill.

Well, as I said, there is already a spamassasin-lite like filter running
on ecos-discuss.  I've found only very few things that are caught by
spamassassin but not by the current filter.

You can also read a brief description of the spam blocking at
http://sources.redhat.com/lists.html .

cgf