Re: Who's maintaining CVS

On Wed, 25 Sep 2002 03:12:41 +0100
Jonathan Larmour <jifl@eCosCentric.com> wrote:

> Peter Vandenabeele wrote:
> [cutting a long story short]
>  > Do I understand correctly that for this special case (lwIP as an
>  > established project distributed by its Copyright holders under
>  > modified-BSD), Copyright Assignment to Red Hat is (as an exception) not
>  > required for inclusion in the main tree ?
>
> Yes.
>
> Any component of the "eCos port" however may be different. Essentially if
> there is code that _isn't_ already a part of the external project, it
> should either be contributed to that external project (for which that
> project takes responsibility) and included in its source base, or be
> contributed to eCos directly, meaning an assignment (ignoring the
> disclaimer approach for now).
>
> We need the lines of responsibility for code to be clear.

So if the ecos specific parts were included in the lwIP project would there be no
problems?
What if I fork lwIP and put all my changes under the same copyright?
Would that count as an 'established project'?
I am still trying to find a hassle-free way to make contributions
while keeping the ecos maintainers happy :)

Is the disclaimer required because the project is hosted on sources.redhat.com?
If it moved to a non-corporate site would the maintainers still require papers?
Could companies sue individuals developing ecos?

PS:No,I did not forget that I sent lwIP using the PD get-around months ago
and frankly I thought it was mostly lack of time on the maintainers part
to review and include it.I still naively believe that if some code has
a disclaimer that says 'do anything with me' can legally and remorselessly
be used by anybody.