Re: Redboot on Cirrus EP9312

On Tue, Dec 17, 2002 at 04:41:16PM -0500, Michael Kelly wrote:

> Let's also say that it is classic vaporware!  That chip has been
> "coming" for 2 years.  Check the Samsung S3C2410 as you
> can get parts now.  Also Samsung has a part from the networking
> group that is ARM966 with PCI and Dual 10/100 MAC!.

We've been using various Samsung ARM parts for several years
and have had a lot of problems with peripherals (Ethernet
controllers, UARTs, etc.) There are bugs in the silicon, and it
takes _forever_ to get any sort of information from Korea.  The
end result is that after months of our explaining what's broken
about the parts, the Samsung guys in Korea say "Yes, it's
broken. There are no plans to fix it."

So, we do Ethernet CRCs in software, have to do UART flow
control in SW, etc.  We've decided to not do any more new
designs with Samsung parts.

You've been warned:  Samsung parts are buggy, and the support
is horrible.

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com