Re: eCos port for Michochip PIC17C752.

On 28 Dec 2002, Nick Garnett wrote:

> <ramraj@tatatechnologies.com> writes:
>
> > Dear Mr. Garnett,
> >
> >     It will be a great favor to me if you elaborate it a bit
> >     more. Why it is not possible to port on PIC system and what kind
> >     of system it(eCos) is designed for ?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Ramraj
> >

> The PIC is a very primitive microcontroller, the architecture is not
> conducive to multithreading, and only supports a highly restricted
> version of C with difficulty. The PIC17C752 only has 16k of program
> memory and 678 bytes of RAM.
>
> eCos is designed mainly for 32 bit processors -- take a look at the
> list of supported targets. It also needs a GCC port of C and C++.
>
> You will not find many Operating Systems for the PIC, any application
> for which a PIC is suitable would not need one.

All of what Nick writes is true. There is no PIC gcc port. I wrote the
PIC SDCC Port for the midrange PICs (the 14-bit core). Martin Dubuc has
modified my code for the newer 18F parts (16-bit core). The 17C's are the
older 16-bit cores. But SDCC is not gcc. It does not support C++. So an
eCos port using SDCC is out of the question.

I'd suggest surfing http://www.piclist.com/ , specifically
http://www.piclist.com/techref/microchip/index.htm , and getting an idea
of what's available.

Scott