Re: fis load -d

On Tue, 2002-12-31 at 09:50, Patrick Doyle wrote:
> Do folks (still?) use "fis load -d" to decompress and load, for example, an
> initial ramdisk into memory?  I am asking because when I try it on my
> compressed ramdisk, I get a "decompression error: premature end of input"
> error.  When I poke my nose through "decompress.c", I see that this is what
> is reported when there is trailing data following the end of the
> decompression.  My current working theory (subject to testing when I return
> from lunch) is that the size stored in flash, which was rounded up to the
> next block boundary, is confusing the decompression routine.
>
> Has anybody else run into this?
> Is there a simple workaround or should I submit a patch to the code
> (assuming that my theory proves true)?
> Does anybody use the decompression capability of "fis load"?
> Did I miss the part where the Linux kernel will decompress it for me?  (Hmmm
> I should go back and check that one).

There are two lengths kept for each FIS image - the size
of the FLASH used (rounded to blocks) and the actual size
of the data (which may be less).  If you don't specify the
latter (via the -s option to 'fis create'), then the actual
size won't be known and all that is kept is the rounded size.

Try using the "-s XXX" option when you create the image.  If
the 'fis -d' then still has a problem, I'd like to hear about it.

Gary Thomas                 |
MLB Associates              |  Consulting for the
+1 (970) 229-1963           |    Embedded world
http://www.mlbassoc.com/    |
email: <gary@mlbassoc.com>  |
gpg: http://www.chez-thomas.org/gary/gpg_key.asc