Re: MPC860 HAL

rc@unusus.com wrote:
Hi all,

Can somebody indicate a combination of GNU tools, eCos snapshot and MPC860 HAL
that is known to be working properly together (preferably under cygwin
environment), so I can have a good starting point for my custom HAL (BSP)?

I want to port eCos to a MPC860 custom designed board. As the “HAL Platform
Porting Process” document says
(http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/docs-latest/porting/hal-plf-process.html) it
is easier to start from an existing HAL. Unfortunately I was not able to find
a combination of eCos release/snapshot, GNU tools and MPC860 HAL that compiles
OK. The official release (1.3.1)
Don't use the official release. It's obsolete, and only there because we haven't yet put together a package that replaces some of the things the installer provides (but eCosCentric are actively working on this!).

> together with the GNU environment recommended
in the documentation (gcc-2.95.2, binutils-2.10.1 + recommended patches) will
compile OK the “fads860 default” target, but not the stubs or any other target
involving the stubs (RebBoot or cygmon).
RedBoot/cygmon were never ported to fads. The stubs should work though. Any more detail on the error.

But in any case, the fads port isn't well tested. If you want an mpc860 port, most of the other powerpc ports would be appropriate in fact! There's adder, ts1000, viper, mbx and cogent. I know the viper is a particularly stable port.

I also noticed  a preprocessor problem with gcc-2.95.2: it does not understand
macros that are extending on more than 1 line. Like in this example:

#define MACRO_TEST(a, b){\
    a+=b;\
}

This can be an inconvenient if you have to port existing code that uses this
type of macros.
You are on Windows, and this is a line ending problem. I guess this might have been your problem with building for stubs.

Anyway, the solution is to a) use anonymous CVS, and b) upgrade your host tools. Both as per <http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/anoncvs.html>. Let me know if this isn't enough to solve the problem.

The only other thing is if you have this problem with your own source files, use the cygwin mount command to "mount" that directory in text mode. This tells cygwin that text files have Windowsy CRLF rather than Unixy LF line endings. e.g. "mount -t c:/sources /sources" and then "cd /sources".

Jifl
--
eCosCentric http://www.eCosCentric.com/ <info@eCosCentric.com>
--[ can rejoice because thorns have roses." -Lincoln ]-- Opinions==mine