Re: ecos license question.

jake smith wrote:
We are developing a commercial product using eCos (x86
platform). We have made the following changes to the
eCos .
1. We have Modified eCos serial driver for BREAK
support. 2. Added custom keypad driver package to the eCos. No
eCos files are modified. Do we need to make our product Open Source ?
We have also used redboot IDE source code in the
application software.
Do we need to release full or part of the
application code ?
I will assume you are using sources downloaded since May last year. The answer is yes. All code derived from eCos code in full or part (even if only copying bits from a single eCos file) must be either delivered to your customers with the binaries you created (including if the binaries are delivered on a device), or put up publically to any third party for three years (and your customers informed that it's there).

The only code you can keep to yourself are files containing no eCos code in part or full.

Of course we'd be interested in seeing your changes here anyway in case they are useful enough to include, and if they are we appreciate it if you could contribute them so you can give back a little of what you got from eCos :-).

We have actually updated the licence summary on the web site to explain all this just today: <http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/license-overview.html> ( if it says eCos is under the RHEPL then the old versions's probably been cached somewhere so use shift-reload/ctrl-refresh to update it)

Jifl
--
eCosCentric http://www.eCosCentric.com/ <info@eCosCentric.com>
--[ can rejoice because thorns have roses." -Lincoln ]-- Opinions==mine