Re: faq on applying a patch ?????

On Tue, 2003-03-18 at 13:16, HG wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> are there any faq on extracting the diff and applying ecos patches ????
> I am applying the patch
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/ecos-patches/2003-03/msg00090.html
>
> to the latest cvs with the command patch -px <patchfile  where i tried
> several values of x with no success. Patchfile is a file that was copied
> from a linux computer copied on a diskette and used in the cygwin
> environment.
>
> I get several of this type of message :
> missing header for unified diff at line 40 of patch
> can't find file to patch at input line 40
> Perhaps you should have used the -p or --strip option?
> The text leading up to this was:

It looks like that patch suffered some line breaks.  This can
happen when it's sent as part of the message and not an attachment.
You might be able to rebuild it by taking obviously broken lines
and rejoining them.

Also, this particular patch does not follow our standard practice.
We try to make patches relative to the top of the ecos/packages
tree.  For the patches that I post (as well as most of the original
eCos team), just apply the patch while in the ecos/packages directory
and use "-p0". The patch you quoted was relative to somewhere in the
bowels of the IDT HAL.

--
|       Mind: Embedded Linux and eCos Development        |