Re: --with-gxx-include-dir option

Bart Veer wrote:

Now for the not so short answer. This configuration option controls where the C++ header files like <new> get installed. The default location is in $(PREFIX)/include. That is fine for building a native toolchain. For building a cross-compiler it is not quite right $(PREFIX)/include is for host-side header files, and <new> is a target-side header file.

We've been through this before elsewhere - I'm afraid I think you somewhat misunderstand the intention and purpose of what the GCC C++ guys have arranged.

$(PREFIX)/include is *not* what would be used in the include path for <new> etc. In fact it is $(PREFIX)/include/c++/3.2.1, so there is *no* conflict between the C++ header files and the host side files. Target dependencies are resolved by subdirectories within that directory, but you don't need to worry about that - that'll be true wherever the C++ header file prefix is.

Whatever we do has the risk it will break things in future if we don't do what the C++ maintainers have said will remain their practice. It will also confuse any bug reports reported to them. There is no reason to stray from what they say, there are no advantages, there are both real and potential disadvantages. And now a report that it can cause SEGVs (although that's hardly good behaviour, it just shows what can happen if we "stray from the path").

> Hence for the toolchains we build we specify
--with-gxx-include-dir and put the C++ headers somewhere more
appropriate. A useful side effect is that this allows us t)

Hmm... bit late for tea though ;-).

Jifl