Re: RedBoot and eCos application both using the same networkport

Chris Garry wrote:

The ks32c5000 ethernet driver was printf-ing lots of debug info to the console - this was causing the board to crash as there was no connection to the console while the ethernet driver is re-setting up the network port. So I quickly removed the diag_printf's from the driver.

Yes, you can only use those in certain circumstances!

In the file net/bsd_tcpip/current/src/sys/net/if.c, the function
if_attach(ifp) contains a printf which writes 'driver didn't set
ifq_maxlen' to the console.  This has to be commented out also
as the console is not there when the code is executed.

This was fixed on the 14th in the trunk and v2.0 branch.

Now gdb can connect to the board and run the application,
including setting breakpoints and stepping through the code.
The board also responds to pings to the IP address I assigned
RedBoot and the IP address I assigned the application.

However, hitting the stop button on the debugger doesn't work
as yet - but I'm still looking into this.

I've noticed some flakiness with ctrl-c over ethernet too, but haven't had the time to investigate - right now it only seems to ctrl-c if stuff is output - when it sends data it will check for received data.

My question:  For the final fix I can add an option to the
ks32c5000 driver CDL to suppress the debug output from the
driver, but how should I stop the if_attach() function from
writing the ''driver didn't set ifq_maxlen'  message out?  Just
remove that line...? Or should the driver be setting this value?

Just remove the printf - that's all that was done in the cvs trunk.

Jifl