Re: Development Tools Suggestion

"Uwe Kindler" <uwe_kindler at web dot de> writes:

> Hello,
>
> i just would like to know wich developemen-tools eCos developers use
> or wich development tools you would suggest for eCos development or
> for porting the eCos HAL.
>
> Do you use simple text editors for source, linker scripts and
> command line editing for the build process.

EMACS on Linux. For debugging I run commandline GDB in emacs, which
gives me most of the useful features of a GUI without the clutter.

I also have a bunch of shell scripts to simplify the configuration and
build process. Most of which are also run from within emacs.

> Or do you use Source Navigator or any other IDE (i.e. Eclipse) for
> eCos development. What would you suggest.

I tried Source Navigator. Once. The problem with such tools is that
they get very confused by the HALs, which all define the same
symbols. There are also files in the kernel, infra, posix an C library
packages that multiply define symbols.

Integration of the configtool into an IDE such as Eclipse or KDevelop
has been considered, but only for development of user applications,
not for development of eCos itself.