Re: eCos or redboot for Intel IXDP2400 (IXP 2400) NP board

Chip Boling wrote:
Has anyone ported eCos over to the Intel IXDP2400 (IXP 2400 XScale)
development board?

I had noticed that Intel has V1_24 of redboot ported over and available (see
http://www.intel.com/design/network/swsup/bootmonitor.htm)  but I noticed
that the directory structure they used is a little different than what is
now available for the 2.0 beta 1 release.

They've munged it to suit themselves. No big deal, but it makes it even less likely that anyone here will be able to help anyone who uses Intel RedBoot ports - they'll be on their own.

I see that although they haven't mentioned RedBoot's licence in the readme which is a bit of a shame but no big issue, they have at least not put their own contradictory licence on the front this time ;-).

> The XScale support for eCos
looks pretty good and it should not be too difficult to add the IXDP2400 as
a target, but I would rather build upon and improve an existing
implementation rather than coming up with one from scratch.

The Redboot port is a good start (although Intel have made several customisations to generic sources that would have to be cleaned up before it could ever be contributed to the main sources), and could be used as the basis for an eCos port.

But integrating into the main code base would require Intel to contribute it to the eCos project, and we have had some difficulty persuading them to do this, even though they have assigned copyright to e.g. the Free Software Foundation in the past for other projects. We'll try some other routes to encourage them to do the right thing for the good of all, but the best thing anyone out there can do is to ask Intel directly to contribute back! There's nothing as good as a paying customer to influence decisions :-).

Jifl