what is run-time library?

hi,everyone.
maybe my question is in poor taste,but it confused me for a long time.that is:
what is run-time library,what differencs bewteen DLL and run-time library and static library? before i think simply that run-time library is DLL,now i feel it is not be.
I think library maybe relate to OS,so i want to know how to re-implement a "run-time"library.
any info about this is appreciated!

THANK you!

BRS/johnsonest