RE: help!! TI omap processor

> > The elf image is what the compiler produces. It has the symbol table
> > etc. arm-elf-objcopy is then used to produce the .bin file from the
> > elf. The .bin file is what you put into ROM, but gdb needs the elf
> > file which has the symbol table.
> oh
> so let me ask another question
> I was reading a tutorial about loading linux on the ti
> innovator referece
> board. fine. but they provided the redboot precompiled, not
> only 1, but 2.
> one is a full version, the other is a tiny version, in .out
> file, loadable
> by TI's CCS(code composing studio). the CCS can put the tiny
> version into
> OMAP's internal SRAM. but the ECOS source code do not have a
> config file for
> that. i coudln't load my compiled code to SRAM, i can only
> burn BIN file to
> flash.
> Hong Kong TI support sucks, we are running out of
> money......so I'm on my
> own now.
> where can i find information on the .out file format...
> loadable by CCS.
> sorry for my dumbness, but I'm not too familiar with these stuff.

Hello,
I wrote that tutorial.  The .out file format is simply an ELF file.  CCS
2.00 (which is what I had at the time I wrote the tutorial) has limited
support for reading ELF files.  Basically, I hacked up a version of RedBoot
until it was simple enough that CCS could load it.  I didn't keep very good
notes, but, with the help of Mike Beymer at Itron, I have been able to
recollect what I did.

Basically, I built an SRAM version of RedBoot (search the archives of this
list for a discussion of what the SRAM version is/does).  Then I stripped
out things like the ethernet support, in order to make it smaller, and I
changed the memory layout so that the initialized data section was in RAM
(because CCS ignores the VMA and loads the data at the LMA).

That only reason that version of RedBoot exists is to enable the user to
load a full version of RedBoot into FLASH.  Once you have the full version
of RedBoot in FLASH, you can use that to load and debug your application
(using gdb on your host machine).

>From your previous emails, it seems that you are trying port eCos to run on
a custom OMAP board.  I am currently working on simplifying that process,
but I would suggest that you read the eCos Reference Manual, specifically
the part in section III that talks about porting eCos to a new platform.

HTH

--wpd