Re: how to debug eCos apps using gdb over TCP?

Jonathan Larmour <jifl@eCosCentric.com> writes:

> Kevin Hilman wrote:
> >>From what I can tell in eCos you can only use gdb over a non-blocking
> > getchar/putchar type interface and I don't see any of the HALs using
> > sockets for their implementations of HAL_STUB_PLATFORM_[PUT|GET]_CHAR.
>
> Nope, what happens in all modern ports is that virtual vectors are
> used. That means the GDB stubs interface with a comms channel rather
> than directly to the HAL. For serial that comms channel will point to
> HAL functions, for ethernet, it points to special net functions.

Are there restrictions on what the HAL getchar/putchar interface can
be?  Are there any reasons the HAL functions couldn't be socket calls?
Or, in my case I have a platform-specific communication package that
I'd like to use for the gdb communication channel.

> Yep, you port RedBoot ;-). Seriously, the TCP debug support is only in
> RedBoot.

I guess the question is: is there any reason TCP debug support (or any
other homebrew communication) couldn't be added to the HAL-specific
comm interface in eCos (without RedBoot).

My platform is a PCI add-in card without a serial port or a network
port.  But, we have a communication library that do IP over PCI to the
host PCs network.  And it is this communication library that I'd like
to use as gdb's debug channel.

Kevin