Re: GRUB and eCos

"Gregg C Levine" <hansolofalcon@worldnet.att.net> writes:

> Hello again from Gregg C Levine
> Can you explain this one to me, more clearly Nick? And I quote here,"
> If it is a standard PC-like board then it should boot RedBoot/eCos
> with no problem. If you don't have a floppy drive then you will need
> to look at the GRUB support for booting." Its on the second line that
> I'm confused. How would the idea for GRUB support for booting, be
> setup, inside eCos? Or even outside it?

GRUB is a bootloader. It has pretty much become the default boot
loader for Linux now, but can boot lots of different operating
systems. It can also just load and execute a straight ELF file, which
is how we use it.

FLOPPY loading in eCos just reads some number of sectors into memory
and executes it. There can be no filesystem on the floppy, and it
cannot be used for anything else. If the only devices on a platform
are things like IDE disks or compact flash, then they will probably
need to have filesystems on them, in which case eCos must be booted by
something that can intepret a filesystem, like GRUB.