Re: Re: Recent RedBoot/BOOTP change

On Tue, 2003-07-15 at 12:19, Jonathan Larmour wrote:
> Gary Thomas wrote:
> >
> > Well, the DHCP server on RedHat 8.0+ definitely doesn't like it.
> > It treats it as an invalid lease request, not a BOOTP request at
> > all, and drops it without any response.  At least the old value
> > was working - and no one complained for years.
>
> I've just noticed that CYGSEM_REDBOOT_NETWORKING_USE_GATEWAY is default
> enabled. This option is almost certainly only needed when you are actually
> using a gateway for DHCP. We've gotten away with this before simply
> because the option has indeed been wrong and been ignored, although I'm
> not sure how DHCP-via-gateway can ever have worked.
>
> I wonder if the DHCP server is happier if a gateway is specified with a
> real gateway IP address.
>
> But I think the better fix is probably to add a
> CYGSEM_REDBOOT_NETWORKING_GATEWAY_DHCP option because just because a
> gateway is needed in general doesn't necessarily mean it's required for
> DHCP. Then add that option as default disabled under
> CYGSEM_REDBOOT_NETWORKING_USE_GATEWAY and change bootp.c to use that instead.

Actually, I think that this code is currently correct.  If we want
to support using a gateway (...USE_GATEWAY), then we have to add
the DHCP options to ask for it, otherwise the server won't tell us
what gateway to use.  It has nothing directly to do with the DHCP
request, but rather what we expect it to return to us.

--
Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com>
MLB Associates