Re: I'm wondering ...

On Sat, 2 Aug 2003, Chuck McManis wrote:

> if using the gcc 3.2.1 compiler isn't a source of some of my problems. I
> notice that the book uses 2.95 and a bunch of the other examples are all
> using 2.95.

FWIW, I've not had any trouble building RedBoot images or complete
application images using gcc 3.2.1 as supplied on the eCosCentric 2.0
CD-ROM.  Aside from initial video problems traced to a faulty VGA card, my
target has worked fine -- it's a Viking P5MVP3 motherboard with a Cyrix
6x86L-PR166 on it.  I've also tested on an Intel CA810 motherboard, which
works just as well.

So in my experience eCos isn't very picky about PC hardware, but as usual,
your mileage may vary.

I tend to avoid configtool when possible because it's a bit unstable on my
system (occasionally dies with internal GTK errors); but as somebody else
pointed out, ecosconfig and the editor of your choice can substitute very
well.

Just a piece of advice about the configuration system though -- once you
get a working configuration file for whatever you're doing, save a copy
under version control.  There are lots of options in eCos and it's not
hard to break your build by changing something obscure and forgetting what
you changed (or conversely, forgetting how you arrived at that working
config).  I'm sure that's obvious to most here but I guess I tend to
learn the hard (dumb) way.