RE: PCI Ethernet card

> If 'WOL' stands for 'wake on lan' I think you can just ignore
> it if the
> card physically fits into the slot (fits without using any force, that
> is). Unless I'm very mistaken, the only thing you must do is avoid
> sticking 3.3V only cards into 5V only slots (or vice versa), but the
> physical encoding of the connectors should prevent this.

I believe the WOL signal is an output from the card to the motherboard,
and the other two wires are the PC standby 3.3V and ground.

As for PCI cards and slots beware!  I blew up my 3.3V PCI target board
last
week by plugging in a cheap "Edimax" realtek NIC, which was laid out as
universal PCI card (had both notches), but had connections between Vio
(3.3V
in my system) and +5V dedicated pins.