Re: load data from floppy

Nick Garnett <nickg@ecoscentric.com> writes:

> davidw@dedasys.com (David N. Welton) writes:

[ floppy driver ]

> > I managed to beat the relevant Minix code into shape to do what I
> > need.  Would this be of any interest to you guys?  I'm sure it
> > needs an expert hand to really bring it up to snuff, but it does
> > work for reading a floppy.  The license is the new BSD-style Minix
> > license.

> It would certainly be worth looking at. We also need to make sure
> that way you are using it matches with the (currently very vague)
> ideas I have about how block devices should work.

Which are?

I have another question.  The underlying Minix code that I am working
on top of doesn't want to deal with read/write sizes or positions that
are not multiples of 512 (SECTOR_SIZE).

I think a good interface should hide that, but on the other hand, that
might force some uglies.  If, for instance, you want to read less than
a full 512, the driver is going to have to allocate a full 512 itself,
and then copy it over.  That seems kind of wasteful, especially if the
size is much larger.

Any thoughts on how to get around that kind of limitation?  I'm going
to keep hacking at it myself... I've got a few ideas.

> There are also issues of packaging, configuration and coding style
> to worry about.

Sure...  We'll see about those if the code itself doesn't turn your
stomach.

> As for the license -- this needs to be looked at by someone who can
> assess it properly (not me!).

Included at the end of this message (not sure if I sent it the other
time).  Looks like there are a few other things in eCos with BSD style
licenses...

--
David N. Welton
   Consulting: http://www.dedasys.com/

----
        Copyright (c) 1987,1997,2001 Prentice Hall
        All rights reserved.

        Redistribution and use of the MINIX operating system in source and
        binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided
        that the following conditions are met:

           * Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
             notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.

           * Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above
             copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following
             disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided
             with the distribution.

           * Neither the name of Prentice Hall nor the names of the software
             authors or contributors may be used to endorse or promote
             products derived from this software without specific prior
             written permission.

        THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS, AUTHORS, AND
        CONTRIBUTORS ``AS IS'' AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES,
        INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
        MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED.
        IN NO EVENT SHALL PRENTICE HALL OR ANY AUTHORS OR CONTRIBUTORS BE
        LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR
        CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF
        SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR
        BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY,
        WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE
        OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE,
        EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.