Re: ecos ram filesystem

On Sat, 2003-08-23 at 09:08, mailsagr@yahoo.com wrote:
> hello,
>
> i am tyring to create an ecos image on a floppy (for
> i386) that has
> ramdisk file system support.
>
> I included the packages: RAM filesystem and also the
> FILE IO support in my
> ecos image. However I dont know how to proceed
> further.
>
> I realize that you can create a ramdisk using a script
> as follows:
> @echo -- START --
> dd if=/dev/zero of=rootfs.img bs=1k count=$1
> /sbin/mkfs.minix -c rootfs.img
> mount -o loop -t minix rootfs.img /mnt
> cp -av rootdir/* /mnt
> umount /mnt
> gzip -9c rootfs.img > rootfs.gz
> @echo -- DONE --
>
> This is what I did: I booted the pc with redboot
> floppy. I have simple 'hello world' application that
> wants to read and write to a file. This app is
> compiled into the ecos image. Then i load this ecos
> image into memory and type 'go'. This just starts the
> app and I cannot give any commands to ecos. (also i
> havent been able to get my console working). The
> printf statements just go to my pc monitor.
>
> How do I tell ecos where my ramdisk is or how to mount
> my image.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You seem to be confused about how eCos [applications] work.
eCos is designed to run a single application, like your "hello"
program.  There is no command interpreter (shell) unless you
build such into your application (RedBoot is an example of
such an application which has a user interface with a "shell"
feel).

As for the RAM disk, again the eCos model is quite different.
We don't support prebuilt RAM disks (ROM disks do support this
model).

I'd suggest that you review the eCos documentation, in particular:

http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/docs-latest/user-guide/ecos-user-guide.html

--
Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com>
MLB Associates