Re: Creating UART driver

On Thu, 2003-09-11 at 06:18, eibach@gdsys.de wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to write a driver for the EXAR XR16L788 8 channel UART, which is based on the 16C550 registers.
> The UART is connected to my Atmel EB40A board.
> I have found the generic 16x5x driver in packages/devs/serial/generic. I think I could modify it to fit for the XR16L788.
>
> But how do I put the driver into the ecos tree the correct way? I didn't find anything very helpful in the docu or the maling list.
> Is there something like a driver creation - sourcetree setup HOWTO?

You don't need to modify that driver.  It's designed to work with your
platform specific code.  Look at how it's done for any of the platforms
that are already using it, e.g. the x86 PC, the ARM PID, etc.

What you'll end up doing is create a platform specific package which
is an instantiation of the generic 16x5x package.

--
Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com>
MLB Associates