Re: Stress testing JFFS2

I also wrote a test program (attached) that runs on my target hardware as well
as the synth target. The only thing that's special about it is that main() must
be called from initialization context, it wants to start the scheduler itself.

The results I obtained from running it are the same as Øyvind did: the amount
of RAM used by JFFS2 is ever-increasing over time as the program executes.
On my real target, it eventually hits the limit, while on the synthetic target
i have not seen this so far.

Just like Øyvind I was surprised that JFFS2 needs such huge amounts of RAM
(it is targeted at embedded systems after all), but I could not spend any
more time on the investigation. What I found out so far is that the memory
does not seem to be lost permanently, if the file system is unmounted, it's
all there again. I'd be delighted if someone came up with a solution!

tk

Andrew Lunn wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 07, 2003 at 03:16:48PM +0200, ?yvind Harboe wrote:
> > > Please could you give us a complete test case. Something we can run
> > > ourselves. Create a new bugzilla bug on bugs.ecos.sourceware.org and
> > > include the source code and the ecos configuration you are using.
> > >
> > > That will make it much easier for us to see whats happening.
> >
> > OK.
> >
> > But I need a few pointers. Clearly this standalone test case
> > should not be EB40a specific.
> >
> > Ideally anyone should be able to run the testcase, but setting up a
> > JFFS2 mount consists of a fair bit of hardware specific ecos.ecc
> > manipulations, etc.
>
> Yep. Ideally would be to write a test case which runs on the synth
> target. We can all work with that. This does work, i've run the
> standard test case on synth before.
>
> > This might not be eCos specific, but I would expect the eCos community
> > having greater interest in this kind of bug being fixed than
> > non-embedded applications.
>
> Actually, it could be ecos specific. There is an wrapper round jffs2
> which implements the interface between eCos fileio and jffs2. The
> problem could be in there. Also, its easier to debug jffs2 in eCos
> than inside a linux kernel.
>
>      Andrew

Thomas Koeller, Software Development

Basler Vision Technologies