Re: does ecos support generating core files or kernelcrashdumps?

On Thu, 2003-10-16 at 01:27, Reinhard JESSICH wrote:
> Hello
>
> We had similar needs for our development.
> As you know we have implemented a process model and memory protection
> for the PowerPC. We also implemented the first step of a core dump feature.
>
> If an exception occures (dived by zero, illegal read/write, assert, ... ), we write
> the exception text, the thread, the registers, a stackdump of the running thread
> and if this is not possible a stackdump of the interrupt stack. The stackdump is
> not a simple memory dump, but the context of each called function. This allowes
> us to see the call graph and the exact position where the exception occures very
> easily. We write the whole information to an unused memory, which is not erased
> during reset. We can store as much core dumps as memory is available.
> After reset we can read the core's via telnet or serail line.
>
> We plan to store the complete context of the thread and its memory in
> compressed form. This allowes us to see the content of variables in gdb. This would
> be a real core feature. If it is too big for the unused memory, we can store it on a
> flash.
>
> We have submitted a patch for our process extension, but EcosCentric does not

Just a fine point - eCosCentric [itself] has nothing to do with this
decision.  These choices are made by the eCos maintainers, who
themselves [hopefully] represent the eCos community as a whole.

--
Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com>
MLB Associates