Problem with mib2c

Hello,

I've been trying, unsuccessfully, to run mib2c from the eCos distribution.
I am using eCos 2.0, and am building on RedHat 9.0.
I downloaded UCD-SNMP 4.2.1, nsPerl5.005_03, and the SNMP Perl module
(SNMP-3.1.0 from CPAN). UCD-SNMP had no problems on the build and
install, but nsPerl complained that libdb.so.3 was missing. After
determining that libdb.so.3 was dropped from glibc (I've got libc-2.3.2),
I looked up how else I could obtain libdb.so.3, and turned up the
compat-db distribution. Unfortunately, compat-db appears to conflict with
db4, which is used by xemacs, according to rpm.
Is there possibly a way I can get mib2c to work without needing nsPerl?
I've got perl v5.8.0, but that doesn't seem to work with the Makefile.pl
used by SNMP-3.1.0, and when I try running mib2c without completing a
build and install of SNMP-3.1.0, it tells me it cannot locate SNMP.pm.
I've also tried using -I too specify the SNMP-3.1.0 directory, since I
notice there is an SNMP.pm there, but the error then tells me that it
cannot find the loadable module SNMP.
Is there any chance there exists a more recent version of the tools that
don't require libdb.so.3 that I'm missing? Or, as I asked earlier, a way
of using perl5.8.0 instead of nsPerl? Or am I doomed to installing
compat-db forcefully, and possibly messing up my xemacs, among who knows
what else?

Thanks,
-Ben Schmidt