Re: Deferring network initialisation

On Fri, Jan 16, 2004 at 08:25:41AM +0100, robin_singh@gmx.net wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> For a certain application, I need to defer the network initialisation until
> a particular event occurs.
> I am aware that this can be achieved by a call to
> init_all_network_interfaces ().
>
> However, apparently a call is being made to this function at system init
> time when the static constructors are invoked sequentially by
> cyg_hal_invoke_constructors ().
>
> Is there a formal method of deferring network initialisation which will not
> entail hacking into the constructor calling sequence ?

You are mixing up network initialization and network interface
initialization.

There is a constructor called during the boot process which does the
network initialization. This does things like allocate memory, setup
timers etc.

Some time later, the application calls
init_all_network_interfaces(). As the name suggests, this initialises
interfaces, sets up IP addresses, adds routes etc.

So, what are you trying to do. Tell us more and then we can give you a
better answer.

       Andrew