Re: How can I build a System, that enables firmware download for cus tomers?

Winkler Andreas wrote:
Hi,

I am planing to build a System with RedBoot and a loadable Linux kernel.
The system should be deployed with a Linux kernel im FLASH, which will be
started by RedBoot.
Our customers should be able to load a new Linux kernel - which we deploy
also - per ethernet or per modem connection (ppp).

Unfortunately redboot doesn't support loading via ppp. Serial loading is xmodem, ymodem or raw.

Of course we cannot demand from our customers to setup dhcpd, minicom, put
in some commands and so on.
What we need to offer is an interface program on PC, which manages the
download of a new Linux Kernel. Everything else must be done automatically.
I think, the download is not the problem. We can manage this, so that the
new (zipped) kernel is stored in RAM memory.

So it's downloaded and stored in RAM while Linux is running. No problem.

What we need is a program interface between the running  Linux kernel and
RedBoot, which does the following:
*	create a file image out of the loaded Linux Kernel (in FLASH)
*	tell RedBoot, to use the new image at the next reboot
*	delete the old file image
*	make a reboot
Does RedBoot offer such an interface?

RedBoot can't really offer an interface like that when it's no longer running :-). Linux takes over the world, so you have to solve it in Linux. But that's okay, there's a solution.

David Woodhouse added support in the MTD layer of the linux kernel to parse redboot FIS (i.e. partition) information. You can use the linux MTD to write the image into the appropriate MTD partition (/dev/mtdblockN), then just reboot linux yourself whenever you want. Assuming you set RedBoot up with a boot script to automatically load linux from the relevant FIS partition, then it all just works.

This does admittedly assume the linux kernel has a flash driver for your flash device.

Who has experience with that kind of request and can give me some
information?

See the sig below if you want more.

Jifl
March 30 - April 1, San Francisco http://www.esconline.com/electronicaUSA/