Missing ethernet support when building RedBoot without driver warnings

Hello,

I just discovered the following problem. When I build RedBoot (for Renesas
EDOSK-2674 platform) with Ethernet support and I disable 'Show driver
warnings' CYGSEM_IO_ETH_DRIVERS_WARN and disable 'Support printig driver
debug information' CYGDBG_IO_ETH_DRIVERS_DEBUG then there is no ethernet
support present when booting the board. If I enable one of the two options
above, then ethernet support is present. I debugged a RedBoot RAM
application in order to find the problem. I discovered, that the file
redboot_net_io.o compiled from net_io.c is not linked to the final
redboot.elf file - that means RedBoot_init(net_init, RedBoot_INIT_LAST); in
redboot/current/src/net/net_io.c is not active and so ethernet won't be
initialized.

As soon as I put the following code:

int old_console;
old_console = start_console();
end_console(old_console);

into the file eth_drv.c from stand-alone stack, the file redboot_net_io.o is
linked correctly to the final redboot image. Normally the code above is only
called if one of the warning options is active. So the file redboot_net_io.o
is not linked into the final redboot image because there is no single
function call from outside the file net_io.c which calls a function inside
net_io.c.

What should I do in order to force the linking of redboot_net_io.o if
warning and debug messages are disabled.

Thank you very much.

Regards, Uwe

eCos port for Renesas EDOSK-2674
http://www.htwm.de/ukindler/ecos