Re: ld segfaults - Did you solve the problem?

Note: I am CC'ing the ecos-discuss@ list.

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004, Bo Engstrom wrote:

> Hello Mark,
>
> In the last days we have experienced problems with
> our i386-elf-ld 2.13.1. It core dumps on changed
> source code with a tool chain that have worked for
> months. I surfed around and found your entry to the
> eCos mail list.

I assume you are using the eCos-centric binary packages? It seems to just
be a bug in some versions of GNU ld.

> Did you ever find a solution to your link problem?

If you are compiling your code with -ffunction-sections and/or
-fdata-sections then removing those two options might help (at the expense
of bloating your image).

If that doesn't work the lamer solution is to change around link order. We
never investigated it further due to time constraints (imagine how bad
things would be for us if we tracked down every Tornado problem. hehe).

Our solution has been to not compile with multi-section objects. The
benefit of multi-section objects is that if you have a source file with 10
routines by you only call one of them then only one gets linked in. So
we're still waiting for UNIX linkers (a personal rant of mine) to catch up
to the 80's.

Hope this helps,
Mark G.

CEO & CTO: GladeSoft, Inc.