trouble linking standard C libraries

Hi,

This is not directly related to the eCOS forum, but I am sure I get the best answers here.

Standard library issue:

I tried the following on my linux box:

$ mipsisa3-elf-ld ?o output hello.o

this gave unresolved reference errors on printf, memcpy & such standard lib (libc) functions. I thought the linker should include the libc by default when needed unless ?no-sdtlibs? so something similar is specifies in the command-line. Am I right?

Then, I tried..

$ mipsisa3-elf-ld ?o output hello.o ?lc

It reported cannot find ?lc

Questions:
1. I thought the linker would know the path where standard libraries are stored & should automatically link-in when needed. But, I had to specify the library explicitly (using ?lc) & also provide the library search path (using ?L#path#). Are both these (-l & -L) required (a must) when working with standard C library functions? If yes, Please let me know how to specify the ?L with relative path (so that it will work, no matter where the tool-chain was installed). If no ($ mipsisa3-elf-ld ?o output hello.o ? would produce the output), then what went wrong in my setup?
2. libc (-lc) or libgcc (-lgcc)? Which one should I include? What is the difference? Any document on them?

Please help me out on this.

Cheers,
-Mike.