Interupts and redboot

It looks to me like Redboot turns on interupts before it hads off to the
ecos application.  It appears to be doing this in the call to
HAL_THREAD_SWITCH_CONTEXT in main.c.  I know for sure it is doing it on
our SH3 board, and from reading the source code, it appears to do the
same on the arm platform.  Am I misreading something here, or is redboot
really intending to do this, and if so why?  I thought bootloaders were
usually supposed to leave interupts off when handing off to the
application they were loading.

I fixed my platform by changing (_regs_)->sr = 0; to (_regs_)->sr =
0x000000F0; on line 104 of the sh3 hal_var_bank.h file, and now my
application starts up fine, even while interupts are being fired doing
startup.