Re: common x86 features support

On Thu, Jul 08, 2004 at 02:51:59AM +0400, Simon Johanson wrote:
> Dear ecos-developers...
>
> Possibly I've not read whole e-mail-lists to find the right answer to my
> question, sorry for that, maybe someone could provide references to previous
> discussions.
>
> I'm looking for eCos running on my X-86 based board...
>
> as I understand -
> 1). there's no chances to get Video support under eCos (even simple
> VGA-text-mod driver)

Text mode should work as far as i know. Getting graphics working
should not be too hard. eCos uses the Microwin code for its
graphics. Im sure there must be a basic VGA driver around somewhere
you can port to eCos.

> 2). No PC keyboard driver

Again,

> 3). No ATA devices support, I'm not able to run eCos with my FSs on HDD or
> Floppy
> 4). USB support - I'm looking for OHCI driver for Opti82c861 controller
> (USB1.compliant)
> Is it possible to get "finger in air" estimation for such USB controller in
> eCos. Which  USB-device classes available?
> 5). No parallel port driver
> 6). No PS/2 mouse driver

You have quite high requirements. eCos was designed to be used in
deeply embedded system, and your requirements don't fit what i would
normally consider a deeply embedded system.

So lets take a step back and look at the system as a whole. What are
you trying to build? What are the requirements in terms of real time?
Do you need an RTOS or will an plain OS do? If you don't need an RTOS,
Linux seems like a much more sensible way to go.

        Andrew