Re: Self extracting target installer

On Fri, Jul 09, 2004 at 10:50:56AM -0400, Doyle, Patrick wrote:
> Before I go and reinvent the wheel, I thought I would ask if anybody else
> had already solved this problem.
>
> We have a product that includes RedBoot, two executable binary images, and
> 17 data files that all need to be installed in the Flash Image System
> managed by RedBoot.  The heads up I've gotten from Manufacturing is that
> they are going to throw a fit if we ask them to:
>
>  1)  run Hyperterm
>  2)  type in "fis load -m ymodem"
>  2a) sometimes, you need to type in "fis load -r -b -m ymodem"
>  3)  Use Hyperterm to select the next file to download
>  4)  type in "fis create filename"
> (By the way -- it's very important that you spell the filename correctly
> here -- if you don't then the product won't work, so make sure that the
> filename matches the one you downloaded)
>  5)  later, rinse, repeat for each of 17 files
> (By the way -- it's very important that you download all 17 of the files and
> install them in flash.  If you take a break for lunch and come back and you
> start off where you ended before, but you forgot one of the files, then the
> product won't work).
>
> You get the idea :-)

A couple of completely different solution, with the same theme.

For flashes that are not yet actually soldered to the board use a bulk
programmer.  You just need to supply Manufacturing with one file they
blast into the flash before mounting on boards.

Does your device have JTAG. Industrial JTAG programmer will be faster
than serial port, or JTAG parallel port dongles.  Again you just
supply them with one image for them to download into the flash.

I've found that manufacturing understand these sorts of things because
its nearly all automatic, no brainer. Plug in a cable, hit a button,
wait till the light goes green.  Having to use a keyboard they don't
like.

        Andrew