Re: Multiple PPP interfaces in single unit

Is it possible to use the PPP stack to chain multiple devices via
the serial ports?

Some modifications are necessary to handle multiple PPP interfaces on one unit. There are a bunch of globals in the PPP files used to store configuration details. These are currently used for the first PPP interface ppp0 only.

In order to support multiple simultaneous interfaces (ppp1, ppp2...) those globals need to be replaced by some other mechanism that scales to multiple interfaces - a simple solution might be to replace per-interface globals by arrays of up to the maximum number of PPP interfaces you want to support. A more dynamic system would be nicer however.

I haven't got round to trying this out yet, but it's on my list.. unfortunately it's not at the top.

As for the chaining scenario - if you want to talk from one end of the chain to the other, I guess you'll need to enable IP forwarding on the mid-chain units.

Kelvin.