Re: Redboot (i386pc with IDE Flash)

Nick,
Can you easily summarize why redboot does not work with GRUB? This is a feature that I am going to be looking for in the near future. Is it just something that no one has tackled? Or is it impossible for some reason? I am working on a VME based PC and have several available target machines, but only one floppy. So I want to be able to boot off of CF and still load/debug using Ethernet. If this is possible but just needs work, can you give me some pointers as to what needs to be done?

Thanks
David Brennan

Nick Garnett wrote:

bhanuprakash kandimalla <kbhanu@yahoo.com> writes:

Hello:
I am working on i386pc. I am succesful in building a
redboot(floppy) and the pc is able to bootup. The
i386pc system has a IDE Flash disk. I am able to build
ecos libraries and able to use fat file system on this
IDE Flash disk. My plan is to put a redboot image on
the IDE Flash disk so that the PC boots from this IDE
flash disk instead of a floppy. I am insearch of
finding solutions for the following:
1. I hope redboot(ROM) or redboot(ROM_RAM) will be
needed. Am I right?

No, as the names of these configurations imply, these are intended for booting from ROM, not disk.

2. If I can put the redboot(ROM).bin or
redboot(ROM_RAM).bin on the IDE Flash Disk and set the
pc BIOS to boot from IDE , will the pc boots up with
the .bin file? or what file or type of file is pc
looking for booting?

For booting from IDE disk you should use the GRUB support. Read the documentation at:

http://ecos.sourceware.org/docs-latest/user-guide/setup-i386-pc.html