Making driver interruptable

Are the device drivers any different from any functions called by a thread currently running? I mean, eg. a thread calls I/O API cyg_io_write() which in turn passes the control to device driver routines. If now another thread with higher priority becomes runnable, will the execution of driver routines be halted to let the higher priority thread run?

In this regard, I see the driver no different from any other functions called by the thread. Any comments???

Samie