FreeBSD stack / more threads, one socket

Hi all,

we are using the FreeBSD stack and our application works with several
threads.
on one socket there are working 2 threads. the first is thread is waiting
for socket events with select( ), the second thread is calling send( ) and
receive( ).
is this allowed?
I'm asking, because when we have heavy communication load, then the stack
hangs (e.g no answers to ping) and we are searching for the reason

Thanks in advance

Richard