Re: problem with redboot fis/flashconfig

On Mon, Oct 04, 2004 at 11:06:35AM +0200, Neundorf, Alexander wrote:
> Hi,
>
> as mentioned in an earlier email, we are considering using redboot as bootloader. Our endusers have to be able to run firmware updates *safely*.
> After writing a new version of the firmware the fis directory has to be updated.
> Now it seems the functions for writing the fis directory and for writing the flash config data aren't safe. They simply call flash_erase() and after this they call flash_program(). If the power is lost in between the data is lost and the device won't start again (since redboot won't find the fis directory).
>
> I think what would have to be done is to implement a mechanism in redboot/fis/flashconfig so that when writing the new data a new copy is written, and when this has been successfully written, mark the new copy valid. Then redboot would need to evaluate the (new) "valid" flag of both copies when starting and choose the right one.
>
> What do you think ? Am I wrong with this ? Has anybody already solved this problem ?

I beleave eCosCentric have this solved in there eCosPro package. You
might want to talk to them.

In the past they have slowly moved stuff out from there customer only
tree into anoncvs, so it would be a shame to redo the work and then
later have them make there code available and the associated problems
of deciding whos to keep.....

        Andrew