redboot loading bzImage from compactflash ext2/3

hello,

i am trying to reduce the bootup time on my system.
the hardware is an i486 equivalent (ie: geode gx1)
with CompactFlash support. currently, i'm using grub
to bootstrap the geode and then boot the linux bzImage
stored on an ext2 filesystem on the compact flash. i
find grub to be somewhat large and slow.

ideally, i'd like to use a bootloader that's tiny or
reasonably easy to configure such that it only include
it's essential elements. essential in my case being
the ability to bootstrap a geode, uncompress/load a
bzImage from an ext2/ext3 filesystem stored on a
compact flash card.

so my question is whether redboot is a suitable
solution. from reading the archives, it would appear
redboot's bootstrap code only supports booting from
floppy/network (11 Feb 2004). is this still true?

thanks,
tej