Re: performance of the ecos networking stack ?

On Fri, Nov 05, 2004 at 10:55:47AM +0100, Neundorf, Alexander wrote:
> Hi,
>

> how does the ecos networking stack compare performance-wise to
> e.g. the linux networking stack ? Roughly the same, much faster,
> much slower ?  Since ecos features 3 TCP/IP stacks, which one is
> recommended (we have a lot of RAM and a fast CPU) ?

I beleave the FreeBSD stack is slightly faster than the OpenBSD
stack. I have no idea how these two compare to lwip.  When comparing
to Linux expect it to run slower. eCos is a RTOS, and TCP/IP is
intrinsically none real time. This means that the network stack and
large parts of the device drivers run in thread context on eCos where
in Linux the run in interrupt handlers and bottom half code. This adds
some overheads, which slows down the stack, but prevents it from
messing up your real time threads which is more important.

        Andrew