RE: HELP Unable to ping the device

Hi gary,

> On Wed, 2005-03-02 at 17:05 +0530, Mukund JB. wrote:
> > Hello Gary,
> >
> > The network problem at redboot persists.

> > > Yup :-(

> > server).
DHCPd/

TIMED
> > OUT.

> > not
> > >
> > > How did you configure the port on your host computer?
> >
> > Baud rate = 57600 8N1
> > Hardware Flow control = NO
> > Serial device 	    = dev/ttyS0
>
> We need to know how you configured the network card in your host?
> Have you tested the network using that card?

That is done by the sysadmin. However the card is working.
If I just tested it using ping 100.100.100.100 (DHCP server) it works
fine/responds.

Just excuse. I thought, when it comes to network, my HOST network card
will never come into picture. Can u just explain me how is the network
card on the HOST related?

> > > Have you tried any debugging techniques?
> > >   * Turn on network debug in RedBoot (requires reboot to become
> > effective)
> >
> > Sorry, I did not do that. How do I turn on the network debug in
redboot?
> > However, I get some message when I start the board after the redboot
is
> > loaded.
>
> Have you read the manual?  Try the 'fconfig' command

whn I see the redboot promt I tried it as follows:-

fis init -f
fconfig -i
which asks me a set of questions like

	Scripts yes/no
	DNS address
	MAC Address 	-------	why does it need this? How do I know the
exact MAC?

Then I set the ip_address of the machine using ip_address command.
ip_address -l 100.100.100.103 -h 100.100.100.43

100.100.100.103 	---	Local IP address
100.100.100.43	---	IP address of Default server (HOST)

> > >   * Watch the "wire" from Linux (ethereal or tcpdump)
> > I watched it. I watched through ethereal what are the packets that
the
> > device is sending after installing redboot & restarting it.
> > It is sending nothing.
> >
> > I am less into ethereal stuff. I just doubt, Is the ethereal capable
of
> > capturing the bootp request patkets on the network. Just becos the
> > fields on the ethereal display are
> >
> > 	Time	  Source	destination	  xxx	  xx
> >
> > & if the board is sending some BOOTP packets how will the ethereal
> > display them on the screen. I just doubt as there is no IP assigned
yet
> > to the board we are using.
>
> 'ethereal' can see and display any network traffic that your host
> computer can see.  It will be able to display BOOTP packets, as
> well as any other packets exchanged between your target and host.

OK.
Where might be the problem? Guide me, please.

Regards,
Mukund jampala