gdb shows incorrect source file while debugging

I'm trying to port eCOS & RedBoot to a custom Power PC
(MPC852).
I started with the Adder sense it has a similar
processor an I/O.
I added my card to the cdl scripts, created a
directory and wrote a custom hal_hardware_init.

I'm using a BDM to download and debug, after
downloading I can see the reset vector (in assembly)
single stepping to another small assembly code
segment, but when it branches to hal_hardware_init --
gdb loads up some other source file (I think it's
displaying some .hxx file).

Looking at the registers and dumping memory around the
PC, I am running the code I wrote for
hal_hardware_init. I can even set breakpoints on my
label names.

I can copy and assemble _just_ this code module in
another directory and it works as expected. I even
changed the cdl to use -gstabs instead of -g ---no
luck.

Please tell me what I'm missing when I build with the
eCOS config tool.

Thanks for your help.
kk